Wednesday, January 1, 2014

North Umpqua Trail: Susan Creek to Bob Butte

Let the 2014 Hiking Season begin!
While many people slept their party-induced, fuzzy heads well into New Year’s Day morn, I wanted to start the year off right with a short drive to begin a short hike up the North Umpqua River. It was foggy here in the valley, but as soon as I got to my hometown of Glide, it was clear and crisp with promising blue skies.



I'm taking the 3rd route
I began my FIRST HIKE OF 2014 at the Susan Creek day use area, my objective being to hike to the new Tioga foot bridge, continue down river on the North Umpqua Trail to Bob’s Butte, then do it all in reverse, as most hikes in this area dictates It was chilly, about 40-something, so I layered accordingly.



Susan Creek day use area, my starting point

It’s a ¾ mile jaunt to the Tioga foot bridge from the day use area. I could have parked closer to the bridge, but this part of the trail is actually very pretty, with several newly constructed bridges crossing quaint little streams. At the Tioga bridge I saw several vehicles parked, so I knew there would be company on the trail.




Tioga bridge
After crossing the Tioga bridge, I turned west on the N. Umpqua Trail and continued down river. This use to be part of the old highway, the trail being very wide in this section. It also veers steadily away from the river, which is the theme for this part of the trail. With not a whole lot to look at, I continued my brisk pace for about a mile.




Ahh, pretty meandering trail
It was then I caught up to several occupants of one of the vehicles I had seen back at the bridge. After exchanging pleasantries with the 2 women, I asked how far they were going, they said “to the waterfall”. After a bit of inquiring on my part, I set the 2 ladies straight by pointing out that Susan Creek Falls was actually on the OTHER side of the river and just up the highway. They had already traversed up river on this side, and so now, thanks to yours truly, they abruptly ended their search for a waterfall on this stretch of the trail. They thanked me profusely and started their way back, continuing what is probably the longest hike I've heard of to reach Susan Creek Falls…


Lone Hiker

I carried on, and soon the old road turned to an actual trail… yay! The trail meandered gently through the wooded forest for a short distance before crossing Bob Creek. Call me crazy, but I figured that Bob Creek must be near Bob’s Butte… just a hunch. It turned out that I was indeed at the base of Bob’s Butte, which loomed in front of me. It was here that I heard and saw more hikers ascending the trail several switchbacks ahead of me. Being the stealthy Lone Hiker that I am, they didn’t hear or see me yet, due to the fact that I don’t talk to anyone else when I’m by myself. That would just be weird...


Trail along side of Bob's Butte




         Continuing up the switchbacks, I noticed that it was getting warmer. Wait, is it really getting warmer, or am I just working harder now? Alright, maybe it was a little of both. I soon caught up to 2 dudes who had copped a squat on the open hillside, which was sparsely populated with madrone and oak. The sun was all aglow on the east-facing hill, and it appeared the 2 hikers were happy to partake in the warmth. I said a polite hello, assumed they were NOT looking for a waterfall, and trekked on past them.


One of several creeks



Just around another switchback in the clearing, close to the highest part of the trail just below Bob’s Butte, was another, much younger hiker dude. He must have separated from the rest of the herd (see the 2 afore-mentioned dudes) to claim this part of the hillside as his own. I said hello to him as well, and walked onward to what I knew would be my turn around point.



He's so fast!
The clearing soon turned to stands of trees of different varieties, and after consulting with my gps, I determined I had reached the maximum altitude on this section of the trail and thus, the apex of my hike. It was here that I had to shed a layer of clothing, since the temperature had noticeably risen to a balmy 56 degrees, creating beads of sweat on my forehead.




Spectacular view from Bob's Butte
I then began my sweaty descent off the top of Bob (pause here for dirty thought and laughter….) and made my way down the hillside. I once again passed the hiker dudes, this time all 3 had conglomerated in one area, depriving me of perhaps the best lunch spot on this hike. But all was good, as I found another cozy spot just a bit down the trail. I rested for about 10 minutes, ate my sandwich and took in the view of the surrounding hills. What a gorgeous, sunny day in this grand new year!


View from Tioga bridge
I proceeded the rest of the way down the trail, which appeared to be much the same as it was on the way up, only in reverse. Got it? Good.






The Tioga foot bridge, constructed in 2012
As I got closer to the river, I got a chilly reminder that it was a tad cooler down in these here parts. Had I not been hiking as hard as I was, I would’ve had to relent and throw my jacket back on, but my quick pace kept me warm enough.



Have a Great New Year!
Happy trails and travels!

I soon reached my starting point, having hiked a brisk 7 miles in 3 hours. The 2014 hiking season has officially begun, and I plan to have many more adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Good hike and a good read. Was it as good for Bob as it was good for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good for me, but Bob just saw me as another person to climb on him... not sure I have much respect for him now...

      Delete