Saturday, January 25, 2014

North Umpqua Trail: Calf Segment

(Click on any picture for larger view and slide show)

In my ongoing quest to complete the 79-mile N.U.T. (North Umpqua Trail) by the year’s end (which may actually happen earlier than I thought) I decided to take on one section which I haven’t been particularly looking forward to. This would be the 4 mile Calf segment of the N.U.T.
I had 2 reasons for not relishing this part of the trail. For one, this is where the 2002 Apple fire had left it’s unpleasant mark on the trail and hillside. And two, the trail is within sight of the highway for well over half it’s length, giving you that civilized and not-so-secluded feeling. And as everyone knows, seclusion is one of the many reasons we all hike.
 
However, it was part of the trail, and I had to hike it nonetheless, shamelessly using it to achieve my own selfish goal.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I figured since I would have company in the form of vehicle traffic just a stone’s throw away across the river, why not have some human companionship too? So I decided to take my youngest son Colby with me. And I did so without any hesitancy, as I knew his years of ADHD-motivated pacing made him the perfect candidate for keeping up with me on this relatively flat portion of the trail. In fact, I wouldn’t hesitate to drag Colby anywhere I hike, for I know his legs are in better shape than mine. (As I sit writing this within an hour after our hike, he is pacing back and forth in the house, as if the 8 miles he just finished never happened. I hate youth…)
 
We arrived at the trailhead with clear blue skies above us, and the temperature hovering right at freezing. On the bright side, we had no wind chill factor to factor in on this day, so all was well. Literally speaking however, on the not-so bright side, the trail would run along the north side of the hill, offering us a predictable sunless hike, with Mr. Sun shining his teasingly glow on the opposite hillside across the river.
 
 
The first part of the trail was crispy and crunchy under our feet, as we walked upon frozen earth and thin layers of ice crystals. It was a nice contrast to the landscape, being a bit charred from the fire about a dozen years ago. There were plenty signs of life, however, as the undergrowth had already returned, and young trees taller than myself had already begun their upward climb towards the sky.
 
 
 
The trail hugged the river, never straying too far above it, but never getting quite close enough to make a quick jaunt to the water’s edge, just so you can dip your foot into it’s icy chill. Not that I wanted to on this day, but it would’ve been tempting in the summer.
 
 
 
With the river constantly babbling at us and a random vehicle passing by every now and then, we encountered more moss covered rocky hillsides than I had seen in a long time. Seeing all this emerald green lushness, it was hard to imagine incredible heat and destruction had passed through here not so long ago. So far, this hike wasn’t as bleak as I had envisioned it would be, but it still hadn’t impressed me much.
 
 
About a mile or so from Calf Creek, which was our turn around point, the river took a horseshoe bend to the south before turning back toward the north. They call this part of the river Horseshoe Bend. Go figure. It was here, however, that the trail suddenly transformed from an ugly duckling to a swan…
 
 
 
 
 
The steep hillside, which had been on one side of us, unexpectedly leveled out, revealing a great view of the terrain through sun-filtered trees. As the trail curved south, we were greeted with those warm, elusive rays, which are highly coveted this time of year. As a bonus, the road, which thus far had been a constant companion, had disappeared far up the opposite hillside out of view, leaving just me, my son, and my other ‘sun’ in the seclusion which, as previously mentioned, is a reason we hike.
 
I think he's happy that the sun arrived

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
With a renewed pep in our step, we took in views of the horseshoe bend in the river below, pausing to take a few pictures and a quick snack along the way. We circled around to the south, then to the northeast, eventually leaving the sunlit trail, but maintaining a great view of the river below.
 
 
 
  
 
 
We soon reached the end of the Calf segment of the N.U.T. at Calf Creek (go figure), checked the gps at exactly 4 miles, and then turned around.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We hadn’t had a proper sit-down lunch stop yet, so we decided to veer off-trail just a bit (one of my favorite hike-things to do) and found a nice sun-drenched log near the river. After sharing a pepperoni stick and an apple, Colby and I hit the trail again and proceeded further down river.
 

 
 

Saving a tree... wow, he's so strong
As we neared the end of the day’s hike, I thought about this portion of the trail, and what it looks like from the road just on the opposite side of the river. I’ve always observed it from that angle and thought to myself “Well, that doesn’t look like too appealing of a hike, does it?”…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At first glance, the Calf segment is sort of like the ugly step-sister of trails when compared to the rest of the prettier and more popular segments of the trail. It has scars, right there in plain view of all who drive by it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But, just like in fairytales, once you get past the surface and take a closer look for yourself, the real beauty is revealed in ways you didn’t expect. I believe this happened today...
 

 ...Or, perhaps I just used this part of the trail to help achieve my own selfish goal.
 
 

 
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Don't like the Calf? Dude, that is one of my favorite segments! I think the burn area has its own stark beauty and I love the cliffiness of the trail. I'm with you on the cars and highway, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are back out there and your goal of finishing the NUT lives. Keep on hiking!!!

    ReplyDelete